This coffee cake delight is the perfect afternoon treat or celebratory cake. This recipe is a gorgeous, light sponge topped with a creamy, buttery, coffee-flavoured icing. We love to use our award winning Celeste blend for this recipe. The vanilla milk chocolate tones in this coffee blend work so well with the cake.
For the Cake
- 175g (6oz) unsalted butter
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp Celeste ground coffee
- 60g (2oz) hazelnuts, toasted, cooled and chopped
For the Icing
- 150g (5oz) unsalted butter
- 250g icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp Celeste coffee, extracted and cooled down
- 40g (1 1/2oz) hazelnuts/walnuts, halved, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Butter 2 x 20cm loose-bottomed tins and line with nonstick baking paper.
- Toast the hazelnuts on a baking tray for 5-6 minutes or until just golden, remove and set aside to cool. Once cooled, rub the hazelnuts lightly with a tea towel to remove the brown skin.
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric hand whisk for about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, one at a time and beat well between each addition. Then fold in the flour and baking powder using a large metal spoon. Mix the coffee powder with 1 tbsp of warm water and fold into the cake mix with the chopped hazelnuts.
- Divide the cake mix between the two prepared tins and smooth the surface flat. Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean and the surface of the cake is slightly springy to touch.
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool for 5 minutes in the tin and then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely, about 10-15 more minutes.
- To make the icing, beat the butter together with the icing sugar and cold coffee until smooth. Sandwich the cooled cakes with half of the filling and then cover the top with the rest of the filling and decorate with the chopped hazelnuts and walnuts.
- Serve and enjoy this coffee cake delight!